One comes across news about personal data, pictures and financial information getting leaked every single day. This is mostly occurs as a result of phishing scams. Through these phishing scams, people make a lot of profits. Phishing scams have been there since the inception of the internet, and are here to stay. However, there are several things to keep in mind to prevent these phishing scams. Follow the tips mentioned below to avoid getting scammed.
- Keep yourself up to date about the new techniques of phishing scams. New type of scams are being made everyday and what you can do is stay on top of them.
- If you get random Emails which tell you to click on certain links, please avoid them. Stay away from the random Emails or links!
- You can always install an anti-phishing toolbar that will immediately notify you if a certain website contains a scam.
- Whenever you are giving your personal financial information on a particular website, make sure that the website is trustworthy. Because if users put their information on a website that is not secured, that information can be hacked by cyber criminals. Another way to double check is that you find the number of the company on its website and give them a call. Find out where their office is located and make sure that they have done everything to give their customers a secure experience.
- Check your online accounts regularly. If possible, change your passwords more often. It may seem a hectic task, but you’ll be protected from different kind of hack attempts.
- Always keep your browser up to date. If an update is available, never hesitate to download it. Such updates are either to enhance security and speed.
- Use firewalls, on both desktop and network. These firewalls can detect most of scams and will remove the threat immediately.
- If possible, use antivirus software. Many users are reluctant to buy an antivirus software but they actually work. Spending a few dollars on an antivirus is better than losing millions.